The following are some frequently asked questions regarding the Foreign Worker Program and the Caregiver Program.

Q. What are the benefits of hiring a Foreign Worker?

A. By hiring a Foreign Worker you will…

a) Fill labour shortages.
b) Eliminate high staff turnovers.
c) Retain reliable staff.

Q. How long does it take to get a Foreign Worker/Caregiver?

A. Processing times vary based on the category of work, whether the worker is temporary or permanent and the country which they are applying from.

Please contact us so we may assess your needs and determine the processing times based on your requirements. Processing times are not guaranteed and are estimated based on a standard application. Processing times will vary dependant upon the complexity of your application and the number of applications currently in progress at the Consulate or Embassy.

Q. What hourly wage must I pay to a Temporary Foreign Worker?

A. Service Canada requirements dictate that you must pay the "Median Wage". As the Median Wage changes on a regular basis and varies by occupation and is further determined by geographical location we ask that you please contact us for the current salary in your location for a specific occupation.

Q. Do I need to sign a contract?

A. Yes, you will be required to sign a contract for either a one or two year period. However, if for some reason you no longer require the worker, you may terminate the contract provided that it is done in accordance with the provincial labour laws in your province.

Q. How long can a Foreign Worker be employed by me?

A. There are currently no restrictions on the length of employment. As long as both the employer and the employee meet the requirements of the TFW program, they may renew indefinitely.

Q. Aside from wages, are there other costs associated with getting a Foreign Worker?

A. If you are hiring a lower skill worker or a caregiver you, as an employer, will be responsible for purchasing a return flight for the worker. If you are hiring a skilled worker, you are not required to pay the flight costs.

Q. Do I need to provide accommodations for the workers I hire?

A. No, you do not need to provide accommodations. However, if you are hiring a lower skilled worker, you are required to help the employee find reasonable and affordable accommodations. Reasonable housing costs are considered to be a rental cost of no more than 1/3 the gross wage being paid. IE: If the hourly wage is $13.41, accommodations (room rental) would need to be available for no more than $852.00/mth.

Q. Can I hire a part time Temporary Foreign worker?

A. No, all positions must be full time. However, the number of hours that qualify as full time varies a great deal from province to province and can be as little as 30 hours per week, depending on which province the Foreign Worker is employed in. There are some exceptions such as a TFW holding an open work permit or a study permit.

If you are an employer wanting to hire a caregiver or foreign worker and have a question that is not answered above, please contact us.

For all other immigration needs, please contact us.